Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

All in a Dad's work

My oldest daughter has not been sleeping well the past two days because of pain in her throat and right ear. Last night my wife and I discussed who's turn it was to stay home with the sick kid. I lost. So, after a restless night Sandra went to her office this morning and I took care of the kids.

A little after 7 AM my oldest son woke up and dressed himself. Thank goodness for small blessings. So, I woke and dressed the three-year-old as Bailey (the sick one) wandered into my bedroom. When Sandra got to her office she called the Pediatrician to make an appointment. As I was setting out breakfast of cereal I noticed we were out of milk. So, I started making toast with honey and peanut butter when the phone rang. Sandra called to let me know the Pediatrician appointment was at 10:15 AM.

That should allow me time to get the three-year-old to daycare and Spencer to the bus stop. After hanging up the phone I turned on the T.V. to some cartoons. Then I continued to make breakfast. Spencer, hungry as usual, took the first two slices of toast and PB/Honey. I made four more slices, two for the girls and two for me. We sat and ate breakfast. Soon it was time to get out the door.

We searched for shoes, coats, backpacks, snugglies, etc. for a few minutes. Spencer, who rarely feels cold weather, insisted on not wearing a coat. I checked the thermometer. It read 26-degrees Fahrenheit. I told him to wear a coat. He just looked at me, so I asked if he left it in his mom's car. He nodded yes, and swore that he doesn't need one. Ha! I grabbed my running jacket out of the front closet and put it on him. He frowned and gave me an evil look, but kept the coat on and went outside with his backpack.

That left me with the two girls. Bailey put her coat and shoes on readily, probably because she knew she wasn't going to school this morning. Bridget whined about her shoes, snugglies, unfinished breakfast, and her coat. I bundled her up and made sure she was dressed completely. I left her hair undone because I knew I had rubber bands in the car. We shuffled out the garage door to the car. The kids climbed in and got ready to leave.

That was when I noticed Trevor (the neighborhood kid) was waiting on the doorstep of our next-door neighbors house. I rolled down the window, to the protests of Spencer, and asked him if he wanted a ride to the bus stop. He jogged over to the car and climbed in the passenger side. We were on our way. As we rode Spencer grilled Trevor about racing to the bus stop. Spencer was upset that Trevor ran to be the first in line to the bus stop yesterda. Trevor replied that he was first because he tried to get to the bus stop first by running faster. Spencer grumbled.

I stopped the truck at the bus stop, Spencer and Trevor got out and Bailey and Bridget stayed in the car. I waited until the bus arrived, then I drove Bailey and Bridget to the day care. On the way I stopped to fill up the tank with gas from the 100% gas store. When we arrived at the day care Bailey went inside with me and Bridget. I put Bridget's hair up in pony tails with some of the rubber bands I found in her cubby hole. Then Bailey and I left the classroom to our next destination.

I called Sandra to let her know that all the kids got off to school. She suggested I go to the bank near the Pediatrician. Since I was concerned I would not be able to find it easily. I insisted that I should go to the bank near the house first.

Have you ever tried to plot out the logistics of daily errands? You know, plotting out the best path to arrive at each location not only at the best time possible, but within certain time constraints. In my case I crafted two plans; plan A and plan B.

Plan A: I would visit the bank first, then return the item to the store and get credit, then pay for the kids' spring break day-camp, then go to the Pediatrician, then pick up the Rx (if necessary) then take Bailey to school (if she wasn't contagious), and finally go to my office to perform my daily job. It gets tricky, all this planning out plan A and then plan B.

Plan B: stay home the rest of the day with Bailey, and I would call in sick myself. I didn't like Plan B.

The trip to the bank was uneventful. I filled out the deposit slip and put the check and slip in the tube. Then pressed the button. After a few minutes the teller sent back a receipt. Voila. Instant deposit. Next, to the store.

Again, an uneventful trip. Bailey and I parked the car and walked into the store. I was second in line to return the iron. I presented the iron and receipt to the customer service rep. She entered some numbers to credit my VISA. Then, she handed me a receipt. Voila. Instant return. Next, to the school services center.

We hopped into the car and drove to the school services center. I found a parking spot near the front entrance. Bailey and I walked inside. I signed in and picked up a guest badge. Bailey admired the water fountain in the front entrance. Then we walked upstairs to the clerk. I wrote a check to enroll Spencer and Bailey in the spring camp. I handed the check and enrollment form to the clerk, and she accepted it. Next, to the Pediatrician.

We hopped in the car with 30 minutes to get to the Peditrician's office. Time to spare. We drove "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" style on the expressway, then exited on the small two-lane city street. We drove through the parking garage to the third floor and parked the car. We entered the Doctor office and signed in. I paid our insurance co-pay while Bailey played on the little playground (an elderly woman told her to be careful). After about 15 minutes of waiting we were taken into the room. The nurse swabbed Bailey's throat for strep (results were negative) and then the Dr. came in. She visited with Bailey and checked her out, then diagnosed an ear infection. The Doctor wrote a Rx and we left. Next, to the Pharmacist.

After another "Mr. Toad's Wile Ride" to the pharmacy, which happens to be in the same Target where I returned the iron earlier, we parked the car. We walked inside and handed the Rx to the pharmacist. He asked his usual questions about "would you like generic" and "do you want this to be flavored 'bubble-gum' or 'grape'?". Bailey chose grape since bubble-gum flavor makes her throw up. We then walked around the store looking at toys and candy (I bought a small pack of jelly beans) before returning to the pharmacy. I signed and paid for the Rx and we left to get something to eat.

We arrived at the Wendy's, drove through the drive through, and picked up our food. We then went home to let the dog inside for a while, and we ate our lunch. Bailey played with her "prize" toy from her lunch bag. Then she took her medicine (no throw up) and I cleaned up while she grabbed her backpack. I let the dog outside and we locked up the house, climbed in the car, and drove to her school. I walked her inside and checked her in with the receptionist. After I kissed her head and said "have a great day" I left.

Plan A was coming to an end. I drove to my office and started my work day by checking mail, listening to voice mail, and responding to incoming customer calls/e-mails. The day went by as usual. We have gymnastics tonight, and the kids have baths. I am hoping to play catch with Spencer before the sun sets. But, I see that the sun is now setting.

So much for plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who, What, Where?

Yes.   It has been a while.   I missed you.   I hope you missed me.   This month has been a $#!^show, for real. My team is winding up an 8 w...